Thursday, December 13, 2007

Conquering the rain

Another cold morning. I got up early enough to work an hour or so before starting out on my 4 mile walk. I really didn't want to walk since the weather outside looked dreadful. It was overcast and a bit drizzling. I layered on clothes till I looked like a blue round ball. As I was walking out of the house, my wife tells me that my blue pants, hooded sweatshirt, blue jacket, black gloves and black hat made me look like a trash collector. I take that as a compliment and step out of the house.

I feel snug and warm..albiet a little constricted with all the clothes. I care more about being warm than looking cool. I can feel the small rain drops on my face and now another worry creeps in. What if it starts pouring a mile or two away from home. I don't see the sun anywhere and not a single soul is walking. I'm thinking I should turn around and go home and get on my Eliptical Machine. I know there is a reason my $400 Eliptical hasn't seen me more than 10 times in the last 2 years. It's boring. There's no drama in walking (is it ellipting?), while flipping channels constantly. I know if I head back, I will be back to work rather than working out.

So, I keep walking. The steady drizzle keeps me company. I take comfort in the fact that the pace of the drizzle isn't picking up. So, I keep walking. My body is warming up, my mind is getting focused on walking and all the work I have to do when I get home. Before I knew it, I was at my half-way point. I see two people walking the same trail. They've been walking for more than an hour and ask me why I'm not jogging. They give me more motivation as I keep going and finish my third day of walking with out any injury...at least for now.

No comments: